- Cali’flour Foods Flatbreads
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
In the oven heat 2 tablespoons oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened, 10-13 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Add minced garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add broth, pepper and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Cook flatbreads as instructed.; brush both sides with remaining oil. Bake until toasted, 3-5 minutes on each side. Rub the flatbreads with half garlic.
To serve, place twelve 8-oz. broiler-safe bowls or ramekins on baking sheets; place flatbreads in each. Ladle with soup; top with cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat until cheese is melted.